Thread: '07 F150 4x4 won't go into Reverse

Default '07 F150 4x4 won't go into Reverse

My father-in-law's truck won't go into reverse. Everything operates normally going forward, including 4WD. Possibly a solenoid? There are no strange noises to indicate that something is broken and floating around inside the case. He checked the fluid and said it is full and looks normal.

Anybody have an ideas on how to diagnose or fix?

Thanks.
    -Matt
    Matt

2005 Corvette Z51

PM Detroit Gearbox, he would have an answer
    SAL

Did he try moving the gear selector to "R"? J/K

If you don't get an answer today, shoot me a call first thing tomorrow morning and I'll talk to my trans guy for him.
    If I had money like Henry Ford, Lord I’d have me a woman on every road, But someday baby,You ain’t worry my life anymore

People say he's a nice, but they also said that about Ted Bundy

<----Jesus loves you, but I think you're a cunt

Matt, Im going to assume its a 4r75w transmission. They are common to crack the forward drum. This causes the fwd clutches to slip to the point they may get welded together.(check the fluid, it will be brown-smell burned) This causes fwd movement in all gears, including neutral and park. Check and see if the engine revs freely in N or P. If not, then this is your problem.
    For reverse in this trans the rev input drum clutches and low reverse band have to apply. Shift solenoids do not have a effect/apply either one.
    The other common problem with this unit is the friction material on the Low/Reverse band falls off. If this happens you would have no engine deceleration when you move the shifter into low or 1.

Last but not least, the shifter handles on the steering column come loose on ford trucks .....have you moved the shifter past the R position slowly to see if it engages in another spot than what the indicator on the column says? the two torx headed bolts (#30) under the dash, right side of column.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Gearbox View Post
    Matt, Im going to assume its a 4r75w transmission. They are common to crack the forward drum. This causes the fwd clutches to slip to the point they may get welded together.(check the fluid, it will be brown-smell burned) This causes fwd movement in all gears, including neutral and park. Check and see if the engine revs freely in N or P. If not, then this is your problem.
    For reverse in this trans the rev input drum clutches and low reverse band have to apply. Shift solenoids do not have a effect/apply either one.
    The other common problem with this unit is the friction material on the Low/Reverse band falls off. If this happens you would have no engine deceleration when you move the shifter into low or 1.

Last but not least, the shifter handles on the steering column come loose on ford trucks .....have you moved the shifter past the R position slowly to see if it engages in another spot than what the indicator on the column says? the two torx headed bolts (#30) under the dash, right side of column.
    I'm thinking of a number from 1 - 10, do you know that too? +1 to you, you know your doo-doo
    -Joe

2004 Cobra N/A..my A.. a little bit of this...and some more of that (1 0f 227)

SOLD
    2000 mustang Gt Conv. Cold air induction, Dynomax c/b, o/r X-pipe, 4:10, subframe connectors, BBK underdrives, Hypretech III, etc... etc...
    2001 GSX-R600 -1 front +2 in the back, Akrapovich
    2004 Victory vegas

Thanks guys. The truck is in NY so I'll have him check these things out and see if we can figure it out over the phone.
    Matt

2005 Corvette Z51

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Gearbox View Post

extremely common, I check it on all fords that come in the shop
    ASE Master Certified Technician

I actually had that last issue with my Torino. Good to see in 40 years they didn't fix that, I worked on adjusting it, there were a few options, none of which were ideal. In the end I couldn't start the car in park, only neutral, but everything else worked fine.
    -Brad
    1968 Ford Torino - DOHC 4.6, T-56, Project
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
    1998 BMW 540i Sport

Thread Information