Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing pinstriping!

Default Removing pinstriping!

How feasible is it to remove pinstriping from a car, assuming it's factory paint with typical One Shot or pinstripe paint applied on top (not factory). Is age a factor? Just curious as there is a car I like but the goofy striping kills it. Would NOT want to repaint the whole car.

Thanks painting gurus!

It comes off easy. Definately shouldn't be a deal breaker!
    Mike

How old is the car?

They make an eraser type product that goes on a low speed drill, piece of cake. Unless it has been cleared over of something dumb like that.

EDIT: found a video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaflXzJSp_c

Thanks all! Car is a 2000. Don't know when the striping was done, probably last 5 years.

That is good news. +1 to all!

Thanks all! Car is a 2000. Don't know when the striping was done, probably last 5 years.

That is good news. +1 to all!

Quote Originally Posted by 347convert View Post
    They make an eraser type product that goes on a low speed drill, piece of cake. Unless it has been cleared over of something dumb like that.

EDIT: found a video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaflXzJSp_c
    Gotta laugh at the way that dude is working it. He's a natural. LMAO

Forum Member

I did this on a car a while back, car was a 92, I got it in maybe 96/97. Pinstriping was done on top of the clear, but I used maybe 1000grit then 2000grit wetsanding all from the front corner down the side, across the trunk deck back up the the other front corner.
    It was a pain in the butt, although after buffing it out & stuff things came out well.

Another car I had was done factory stripe, the car was painted and I asked if they would leave the stripe off. When I got the car back from paint you could still see the stripe under the paint, the new paint didn't bond or something so well to that area. They sanded it off and repainted and now it is good. That car was an 89 and had no clearcoat originally.

Either can be done, I think if the stripe is over the clear though you're better off for trying this. Age is a factor depending on the stripe, the 89 was a tape stripe and the glue was the issue with paint bonding.

Forum Member

I had a burgandy M/C with chrome trim and silver t-tops, the factory gold pinstripes looked out of place. I went directly over the gold with silver stripes and it looked so much better and I didn't need to remove the old ones.

If its a painted on pin stripe and it is a factory base clear you can remove the striping enamel with lacquer thinner and a rag. Just watch out for and repair areas or stone chips. To the previous post about the eraser wheel those are mean for tape pin stripes not painted.

Thread Information