Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More house stuff, hardwood floors, paint, carpet, basement bar...

Ooooo Back to school back to school I'm so cool

Default More house stuff, hardwood floors, paint, carpet, basement bar...

Been busy plugging away on the house still, I did the back yard when I first got it, re-soded the yard and a lot of clean-up. Been working on the inside now as the weathers getting colder.

Tore the carpet up in the living room and found some orginal oak wood floors.

Floors were pretty nasty had a lot of what looked like spill stains on them, back walls (plaster ehh) were cracked on both sides of the fireplace from the house settling. Had to gorge it all out and patch/tape all the joints.

Put in can lights since there was no lighting other than lamps and the fan light in the room

Tore all the trim out and killz primed all the walls to hide any stains an patch work.

Painted the ceiling a high gloss to break up the light more

Started painting, I have painted the walls three times the "tan" color and every time the paint color was wrong. I was buying 5 gallon buckets from lowes and they couldnt get the color to match the swatches. Got pissed and left it alone but the color is still off. It is suppose to be Sand stone by Behr but has turned out purple, then pin and the third time it was almost sandy but has a fleshy hue to it. I gave up @ $180 bucks for 5 gallons of paint I got sick of spending money, took the remaining paint back to Lowes and they refunded me for all three of them. Now I just need to actually re-paint it again but haven't been able to find the effort to do so.

Borrowed a floor sander from a friend and re-did the floors.

First coat of stain down.

Second Coat down

First coat of poly down, put down four coats total.

Last edited by igotaneed4speed; 10-11-2012 at 07:47 AM.

I think where most of you have your problems with all of this, is the fact that you really don't fully understand the internal workings and dynamics of the common combustion engine. There is no magic tune up, and motors are stupid. The only time a motor will complain is when something is wrong.

That looks killer . I love doing home mods i really makes you feel good when they are done .

Gutted all four bedrooms, fixed all the walls, re-trimed everything and had carpet put in. I don't have any progress pics, this is the ony one i took after the carpet was down.

Took the railings off the front porch and pillars as they were the newer vinyl ones and i thought they classed with the house. Replaced them with wood 6x6 pillars, which I still need to trim out and paint. They will be done in "carpenter style columns".

This is what they used to look like.

What it looks like now, Also had the cap on the porch replaced, new step and new approach put in.

Had half the driveway redone, the pad in front of the side door, walk way between main driveway and the side door pad along with the side door approach. Don't have pictures of it all but here's part the driveway work.

I think where most of you have your problems with all of this, is the fact that you really don't fully understand the internal workings and dynamics of the common combustion engine. There is no magic tune up, and motors are stupid. The only time a motor will complain is when something is wrong.

I'm uploading all the bar pics now, ill put those up in a few

Bar/basement project.

This is what it looked like when I started

Moved the pool table to the other side of the basement to make room for the bar.

Moved the wall back two feet, doesn't sound like a lot but it made a big difference.

Cut in a pocket for the fridge.

Rough framed the bar, there is one crooked stud towards the middle, that is the roomies fault he put the board on the wrong side of the line and i didn't catch it till it was too late.

Pulled all the electrical and sheeted the inside.

Sheeted the front

Finished the front and laid out location for rear shelves and mirror.

Added shelves to the inside and the first layer for the top.

Hand carried a crap ton of bricks in the basement for the wall behind the bar.

Cleaned out the wine cellar from when the cap was redone.

Painted it and put up some lights. (the random guy is one of my roommates)

Going to try and have the wall wrapped up this weekend behind the bar, get the mirror and shelves put back in place and get out to my buddies to get a bunch of re-claim barn wood for the bar top.
    Last edited by igotaneed4speed; 10-11-2012 at 07:51 AM.

nice! I have a little basement project going on right now too. It is cool to see the pics and see how it all comes together!

Quote Originally Posted by supernotch90 View Post
    That looks killer . I love doing home mods i really makes you feel good when they are done .
    Quote Originally Posted by Justindwright View Post
    nice! I have a little basement project going on right now too. It is cool to see the pics and see how it all comes together!

Yeah I have fun working on stuff, your always learning new ways to do something every time you do it. When its all done and you finally sit down crack that beer and fire up the cigar it all becomes worth it.

Just finishing up a 1/2 bath remodel i have been picking away at since last Nov. My 'Rents come out a couple of times every year from PA, Dad and I pick a project and go at it. Mom helps cook and spends time with my daughter.. works well.

Did the mudroom in phases a few years ago. In a few weeks, we're putting a new window in the shop, putting up more lights in the garage, and prepping it for insulation/drywall. Time to expand the warm areas so my nuts stay attached while wrenching on the cars over the winter..
    Mike
    99 Ultra Classic, 89 Softail, 67 Kaw 250

Very nice work...

Treat this like a race car.. Don't save receipts...

Ever need help let me know... If I'm free I'll help since I basically have all the tools possible...
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Quote Originally Posted by beertestr View Post
    Just finishing up a 1/2 bath remodel i have been picking away at since last Nov. My 'Rents come out a couple of times every year from PA, Dad and I pick a project and go at it. Mom helps cook and spends time with my daughter.. works well.

Did the mudroom in phases a few years ago. In a few weeks, we're putting a new window in the shop, putting up more lights in the garage, and prepping it for insulation/drywall. Time to expand the warm areas so my nuts stay attached while wrenching on the cars over the winter..

My garage and a entire house re-wire is on the list next then the kitchen which my stomach hurts thinking about. The garage wont be too bad neither will be doing the re-wire but the kitchen is going to be a complete tear out, putting in a cathedral ceiling, knocking walls out between the living room and kitchen to make it a open floor plan etc.. its going to be a lot of work and stupid expensive ehh damn houses.

Quote Originally Posted by ReiKo View Post
    Very nice work...

Treat this like a race car.. Don't save receipts...

Ever need help let me know... If I'm free I'll help since I basically have all the tools possible...

I've tossed all my receipts from everything into a drawer which at some point i will organize but that most likely wont happen until they have faded enough so i can not read the prices to total them up lol.

Thread Information