Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motorcycle cams question ?

Forum Member

I ending up passing on that bike and found one with less miles and closer to stock. The guy couldn't show me any paper work for the motor work and it just didnt feel right. A 1000cc is already fast enough for me and i dont need the headache of replacing parts on a newer bike with 5k miles. Thanks for your input guys.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by 12sec kid View Post
    I ending up passing on that bike and found one with less miles and closer to stock. The guy couldn't show me any paper work for the motor work and it just didnt feel right. A 1000cc is already fast enough for me and i dont need the headache of replacing parts on a newer bike with 5k miles. Thanks for your input guys.
    You made the right choice. Enjoy your new bike ride safe.
    Last edited by JPK; 04-17-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Forum Member

Got a 2008 with 1500 miles on it ....but it has the original tires on it from 2007 ..they look fine, but should i replace them ?

Club Member

Depends how you plan to use the bike. If they're not dry rotted they should be okay for easy to moderate riding.
    If they have any dry rot I would replace them. If your going to push it at all late braking, hard braking, hard acceleration, hard loading of the front end into corners replace them before you ride. Also motorcycle tires have to get up to temperature before you can push them, if not they will slide.

Check out http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/StoreFront.bok#

They have good prices on tires and they are in Michigan (Shelby Twp, on Mound Rd) so shipping is 1 day.

If you can take your rims off the bike, take them somewhere to have the tires swapped. If not most places will charge you a shop rate to remove and replace the wheels.
    Most of the time the dealer will rip you off on tires, charging full retail. There are several sites that discount tires, like the one I listed above.
    If your not going to do a lot of corner carving look for a 2CT(dual compound with a harder compound in the center an softer on the edges for corners. This helps the tires last longer) tire, Michelin Pilot powers or Dunlop Qualifers both offer a dual compound Z rate tires.

It's not the just amount of miles that kill tires, several heat cycles compromise the tires structure. On a liter bike at a track day, my rear tires will go less than 200 miles depending on the compound and the ambient temperature.

Post a picture of your new bike.

Forum Member

So i ended up getting this 2008 CBR 1000rr with 1500 miles....after reading on some forums there is a recall for the crank, there is a crank wine related to the clutch assembly. I think my bike is making the crank wine and also after 300 miles on the bike ive burned thru 1/2 quart of oil....Lucky Honda will cover the crank recall 5 years after the sale date. I have untill sept this year to get the recall done..but roseuna said it would take a month to repair....what would you guys do in my situation...should i trust roseuna to do the repair ?? securedownload (1).jpgHondaWarrantyExtension2.jpg

Forum Member

I dont wanna miss out on half the riding season and i just put exhaust and new tires on it ...starting to become a money pit

I'd have it done before it cost you alot more down the road.

Club Member

See the first line listed in post #6.

Its been a while since I let a dealer touch one of my bikes. But I can tell you Rosenua is last on my list of Honda dealer to perform any work.
    I looked at a used bike there last summer and couldn't believe the level of incompetence there. They sucked in the 90's and have only gotten worse from what
    I have seen. If you're comfortable with there service dept get it fixed sooner rather than later so it doesn't cause more damage. Personally I would find a better dealer to do the work. Call it a second opinion. Not sure why it would take a month. They should be able to order the parts, once they're in contact you for the repair, then it should take more than a week.

BMW had a repair on S1000RR connecting rod bolts which required a complete motor tear down on a "slightly" more complicated bike.
    Those were getting turned around in a week after parts were in stock. I would ask Rosenau them why they need a month.

Forum Member

thanks again man for your help, gonna make some calls and see what i can do if my bike actually has the crank wine.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPK View Post
    See the first line listed in post #6.

Its been a while since I let a dealer touch one of my bikes. But I can tell you Rosenua is last on my list of Honda dealer to perform any work.
    I looked at a used bike there last summer and couldn't believe the level of incompetence there. They sucked in the 90's and have only gotten worse from what
    I have seen. If you're comfortable with there service dept get it fixed sooner rather than later so it doesn't cause more damage. Personally I would find a better dealer to do the work. Call it a second opinion. Not sure why it would take a month. They should be able to order the parts, once they're in contact you for the repair, then it should take more than a week.

BMW had a repair on S1000RR connecting rod bolts which required a complete motor tear down on a "slightly" more complicated bike.
    Those were getting turned around in a week after parts were in stock. I would ask Rosenau them why they need a month.

Thread Information