Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New painted car, Vinyl stripes? QUESTIONS

Default New painted car, Vinyl stripes? QUESTIONS

If I put vinyl stripes on a newly painted car (1 month ago) and then later decide I want to remove the stripes, will the paint underneath be discolored?
    It will NOT be sitting in the sun except for car shows, it will be parked and covered at all other times.

I'm don't know how the sun will affect the paint that is not under the vinyl, I do not want to remove the stripes and have a different color paint that isn't sun faded.

How hard is it to remove vinyl stripes? the hood and front splitter is fiberglass, the rest is metal.
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

thanks for asking this buddy, i got a hood coming back this week and i was thinking about it too.

Yes it will have discoloring no matter what(depending on amount of time stripes are installed), even if the car was painted 2 years ago.... UV rays are absorbed through the painted surface and slowly discoloring the pigment below, nothing you can do to prevent this it's just the nature of the beast. Biggest issues would be the vinyl stripes bitting into the clear coat, removing them will leave behind "tape tracks" or even delaminate the clear coat from the basecoat. Tape tracks can sometimes be wet sanded and buffed out but in this situation I could see it being worse cause scenario and needing re cleared

Vinyl stripe removal = pain in the ass, you need a drill and an stripe eraser, lots O work. Removing stripes from a metal surface isnt too bad just have to know what your doing and try not to burn the paint, removing from plastic or fiberglass you take a chance of over heating the surface and biting into the substrate along with burning the paint
    Last edited by smooth; 03-03-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    I have a bad case of Automotive A.D.D.

WWW.DETROITRACING.COM

Quote Originally Posted by 91trunk View Post
    Now this is an acceptable use of photos and video's in the Pub.

Ive pulled vinyl wraps off with just my fingers and a heat gun, didnt really take too long
    Matt -
    2010 Boost Logic GT-R
    1983 Ford Fairmont

I just removed a bunch of lettering off a work truck with a diesel powered heated power washer it worked great but your gonna get some sun fade for sure....

I had vinyl on my 06 mustang. black stripes on a yellow car. after 1.5-2 years there was definately fade and the vinyl cracked on the roof too

:/

I literally peeled the stripes off my buddies 2008 GT500, with no heat gun or anything. No dis coloring either, and it is RED. But it was garaged all the time other than a quick ride and car show here and there.
    2014 Shelby GT500 - 2015 Scat Pack Challenger - 1969 Olds Cutlass S - 1969 Plymouth Barracuda - 1967 Camaro - 1959 Bel Air

Quote Originally Posted by cjmatt View Post
    Ive pulled vinyl wraps off with just my fingers and a heat gun, didnt really take too long
    Wrap and Printed vinyls are not the same as Cast or Calendered one color vinyls. Wrap vinyls use a very unique Glue that is made to be removed within 2-6 years depending on the brand and Ratings.
    We just started working with the stuff last year and I can honestly say its way cool You can put a graphic on a car and take it off in no time. I have even taken Idea off one car and placed them on another its amazing. It also leaves no residue behind when removed.
    If you need stripes we have also striped some cars with it too

Quote Originally Posted by thunderace31 View Post
    Wrap and Printed vinyls are not the same as Cast or Calendered one color vinyls. Wrap vinyls use a very unique Glue that is made to be removed within 2-6 years depending on the brand and Ratings.
    We just started working with the stuff last year and I can honestly say its way cool You can put a graphic on a car and take it off in no time. I have even taken Idea off one car and placed them on another its amazing. It also leaves no residue behind when removed.
    If you need stripes we have also striped some cars with it too
    Whats the cost to do a whole car and how does it hold up to washing? I have seen some that get rather hazy after a while and you cant buff out a wrap like you can buff out clear coat

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
    Whats the cost to do a whole car and how does it hold up to washing? I have seen some that get rather hazy after a while and you cant buff out a wrap like you can buff out clear coat
    We have done 2 trailers and half wraps on some Race Cars (Dirt Track) and all are holding up well. No hazing or any thing they are 6 months to 1 year old (As stated just started the full color stuff last year) NON Of them were laminated just printed on the vinyl and installed.
    The only thing I noticed on the 1 Dirt tracker was some Pitting but hay thats going to happen do to all the rocks tossed around at Flat Rock speedway.
    If you add the Lamination (That more than doubles the cost) You have some options you can go with a 4-5 year Laminate or the more expensive 7-9 year stuff. Now on the 4-5 year some hazing is normal per what we have read after 3 years if kept clean.. Also you can wax the laminates without harming it. Most of it has to do with sun exsposure. The race cars dont see much of that just the abuse from racing so they opted out on the lamination, The trailers are still kicking and Have no signs of sun salt or any other fading.

We have done a bunch of Burnout Guards as well and they hold up really well even with getting nasty rubber shot up on them but those are not made to clean they are made to be removed when they look like crap and replace them.

Cost :
    1. How much set up is needed depends on what you want the wrap to be. Simple or complex.
    2. Laminate or no Laminate
    3. Half or full Wrap?

Half wraps with no lamination start at $245
    Trailer Wraps No lamination Say an 18' would be $975 and up depending on how complex you want to get with it. Ad the lamination and your go up to $1900
    Cars are the same as Trailers But if you do a full wrap you do need the laminate to hold up in the auto wash and for the install to go proper. Cars and Small trucks are $3500 and up to do a full wrap from Stat (Set up) to Finish (Installed)

Its expensive but you have to under stand that the Materials to do these things are very expensive. An 18' trailer Wrap will use almost a Full roll of wrap vinyl and the Roll cost $650 plus the ink to print the design and images. so there not a ton of profit in them for us.

Thread Information