Thread: going rate for front fender exit headers

Default going rate for front fender exit headers

A buddy of mine is looking to get some front exit headers for an 83 cutlass. Either can be exited from front or behind the wheel, anyone know someone or shop to buy or have them made? I might want some for my sbc swapped 85 coupe as well, if anyone has some pm me for the gbody or my notch lmk thanks

It depends on materials used. Mild steel or stainless? What diameter tubing, what size and what brand of collectors? Often times its not just making side exit headers, its also having to section the fire wall and do tin work to clear the primary tubes and or the collector, or do some extra fabricating to get them up front. If you go stainless MAKE SURE whoever fabricates/welds them purges the tubes while welding. Otherwise they will turn to junk and crack apart. For steel front or side exits you should expect to pay in the ball park of $1,500-$2,000 from a bad ass fabricator. For stainless ive seen them as high as $4,500 for a set. Also take into account some collector's such as Burn's are $300 and $400 EACH. So you would have nearly $800 just in collector's if you went that route. Hope this helped and gave you some more things to think about.

Gotcha thanks

Time to invest in a nice welder and metal working classes... lol

I think around $1400 is fair for stainless

Quote Originally Posted by LT1Pat View Post
    I think around $1400 is fair for stainless
    IDK where you are buying material. But that alone was a thousand bucks for me. That means the guy making them must work for $8/hr, for $1,400.

usually mandrel-bends.com. http://www.stainlessheaders.com/flanges for the flanges which are $150 for a pair. Total is about $583 for all materials.

Quote Originally Posted by camaromann View Post
    IDK where you are buying material. But that alone was a thousand bucks for me. That means the guy making them must work for $8/hr, for $1,400.
    Last edited by LT1Pat; 04-24-2014 at 07:40 PM.

I guess maybe for a small small block. And i would also think you would need more material then the 10 U bends. I'm using 2 3/8 stepped to 2 1/2" primary tubes and 5" collectors.

Thread Information