Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1998 Silver Camaro Z28(new price, updated description)

Default 1998 Silver Camaro Z28(new price, updated description)

New Price: Make an offer

I had gone back and forth about really selling it, but I've got other priorities at this point. So here it is:

Modified descripition:
    1998 Z28 A4

The car has 81kmiles on it, the engine has about 30k.

Engine:

2000 GM replacement ls1(stock except ARP rod bolts and head studs)

I bought the engine used after I spun the bearing in my original motor. Stenods did the install. A Katech blueprinted ported and polished oil pump was also added. Phil(NTIMID8 on this board) tuned the car and it runs awesome.

The transmission is stock as far as I know, but I woudln't be suprised if it had been beefed up in the past. The 4l60e has never given me any issues. The convertor is a TCI SSF 4200 with anti-ballooning plates and a steel stator, the STR is 2.2. A lot of people seem suprised when they find out how big the stall is for a car thats mainly street driven, but it performs great. I drive this to work a lot, and this year i took it on the power tour. the stall has never been an issue in traffic or on the freeway. i've got a 50,000 gvw cooler, this thing never got above 170* that entire trip. the fluid is AMSoil synthetic.

Last summer I added a heavy duty aluminum driveshaft and a new tailshaft housing went on the year before that.

The air comes in through a cold air intake(fasttoys I think) and a smooth bellow, from the throttle body to the oil pan the engine is stock.

Emissions stuff has been removed, along with the a/c and cruise control.

The exhaust is made up of mac midlength headers, an offroad y-pipe with dual cutouts, and a 3" single pipe that goes over the axle, through a 3" dynomax race bullet and out a stainless tip. It sounds mean and loud even with the cutouts on, and it sounds unlike most other ls1 cars.

The fuel tank was converted to a 2000 plastic tank by stenods when the engine was swapped. The fuel filter, pump, and sending unit is all new last summer

Suspension:
    welded in subframe connectors since before I owned the car

kyb agx 8 way adjustable shocks in front
    QA1 in rear
    sam strano lowering/performance springs

Right now I have cut stock springs in the rear. The strano springs would go with the car as well.

When stenods did the motor, they also ordered me the spohn chassis mounted adjustable torque arm with the crossmember built for true duals. I modified it to give me added clearance under the car, but it still has plenty of room for the exhaust. I also shortened the torque arm to work with the 9" as well. I did the t/a at the tech center at the same time I was certifying 6g in tig, so it should hold up fine

Last summer I also added a moser 9" from scott koresky. It has a 31 spline detroit locker with 3.90 gears and moser axles. There is no ABS. I really like this setup. when I installed it, I also added sjm manufacturing double adjustable chrome-moly lower control arms with rod ends. It has welded in lca brackets too. This week I changed the differential fluid.

The rear makes a little whine between 50 and 60 mph due to the body mounted torque arm. I don't mind it, but if its too much a simple swap back to a trans mounted t/a should take care of it. The 9" is still much quieter than the ten bolt, which wasn't in too bad of shape.

The body isn't perfect. from 5 feet out it doesn't look bad, but a close inspection shows that the driver's side lower door needs repainted, there are cracks in the front fascia, and several other blemishes that could be fixed.

the wheels are 17" zr1s that i stripped and painted gunmetal

the tires are nitto 455s in the front and 555rs in the rear, plenty of life in them.

the brakes/pads/rotors have been recently replaced

Before the power tour I added some tunes;
    it now has a pioneer cd/mp3 player with a front aux. input.
    I also added alpine s-type speakers to the front door

I wired up the autotrix window mod to keep power to the passenger side window, it works great.

I also custom mounted an aeroforce interceptor gauge to keep an eye on the trans and coolant temp, but this thing does everything! It's a scan tool, you can keep an eye on all kinds of data, and you can do hp, 1/4 mile and 0-60 times.

This is not a quite car! But it's fast and fun. My modest goal for this car was to have a fun summer driver that ran 11s on a stock interal ls1. Fall of 2006 I ran a 12.2 at 111(1.64 60'), but the shift points were off so it bounced off the limiter a few times going into 2nd and 3rd. I think I would have had it,but I haven't been back to the track. Since then I've swapped out the ten bolt for the heavier 9", but I've also added better, lighter springs, the double adj. lcas and the gears are a bit taller. EDIT: I went to the track once late last summer. The car had wheel hop, and I got to the track late so I couldn't mess with it much. Everything on the rear is adjustable, so it should be a matter of getting it set right.

With the addition of a 90mm tb and intake, and maybe longtube headers(possible now since the sportlines are gone) this should be one of the fastest n/a stock internal ls1 cars in the country.

This spring I also put in a new battery, changed the belt tensioner and the belt.

Pics from last summer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/browndo...7605181786476/

-Josh
    Last edited by jdustu; 06-11-2008 at 05:31 PM.
    It's my fault for making it look so easy.

run 11s and get 21+ mpg!

bump...

Default car

hey, i bought those nittos off of you a couple months back, and am interested in your car. how are you running such good numbers, is it cammed at all?

Quote Originally Posted by deviate View Post
    hey, i bought those nittos off of you a couple months back, and am interested in your car. how are you running such good numbers, is it cammed at all?
    no cam, the engine is stock. the stall and the exhaust are the major factors, but everything added up works together well. to the guys that pmd me, ill respond this aftermoon,im on my psp @ work,typing is a pain

Forum Member

Any trades?

Quote Originally Posted by PaxNovi 5.0 View Post
    Any trades?
    i'd rather not. i really want the cash so i can buy a nice welding setup and some metal working equipment. and i've got another car sitting in my garage that i should get running....

bump for the day

i'm trying not to put too many miles on it while its for sale, but its hard drove it to work again today, i'll pry be doing the same all weekend

Thread Information