Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for those with sport bike experience

Default Question for those with sport bike experience

I am looking to get into a sport bike this summer. I am 6'0" ~190 lbs. I have quite a bit of dirt bike experience (grew up with 4 strokes then got a YZ 250), which I do realize is significantly different than a sport bike. I have rode a sport bike once in my life. My question is would I be best starting out on something like a 250, or would I be able to jump into a 600 with relatively no issues. I am fully aware the 600 is going to be A LOT of bike. I am just wondering with responsibility, is it pretty easy to get used to a larger bike right out of the box. Thanks.

Don't waste your time or money on a 250. If you have self-control and know how to ride bikes, get something that is fits you and you can grow into ability wise. Otherwise you'll be bored and out more money one month after buying a 250.

It really depends on what you're looking to do with it. We sell alot of CBR250s and 500s. They're great beginner bikes, very similar to your dirt bikes, because its a 4 stroke single. They're awesome commuter bikes, but you'll be disappointed with them if you're looking to go fast on the freeway. Any motorcycle can get you into trouble if you don't respect it and do your part, but a semi experienced rider can handle anything out there, given the proper practice and common sense. That being said, you would be fine on a 600, provided you take your time getting accustomed to the way a sportbike handles and how the power is managed. If you can resist the urge to push your limits and get in over your head (very easy to do), then pick one that fits you well, and enjoy some riding!

Quote Originally Posted by NVR2FST View Post
    Don't waste your time or money on a 250. If you have self-control and know how to ride bikes, get something that is fits you and you can grow into ability wise. Otherwise you'll be bored and out more money one month after buying a 250.
    Hahaha. Treed!

bike is only as fast as you twist the throttle.

start on anything slower than the faster 600's, and you'll be selling it in a few months.

btw, in my experiences (20 yrs in and out of the industry, plus riding)... if you're proficient on a dirtbike, you're ahead of 99% of the squids out there who don't know how to ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsxtreme View Post
    Good god I just realized I idolize MSU's program.

I'd skip the 250 and go 600 or a jixxer 750.

Or a 1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with a 600...rode that for a year. Sold that and went without a bike for a year, then bought a 1200. If I can do it, you can do it. I actually took my endorsement test on an R6 and passed, and I have had little to no experience operating a motorcycle before that (I had ridden with my dad for years on the back of his bike, but never had a dirtbike or anything like that).

The biggest thing is respect. You have to be aware of what the bike can do and respect that and your riding ability. A 1200 rides nicer than a 600 just because of the weight, but yeah, it can get up to 160+ pretty damn quick (for the record, I never went that fast). If you're planning on racing on circuits or things like that a smaller bike might be good to get all the form down, but for normal street cruising it shouldn't be an issue at all, as long as you can have some self control (and I mean that...really ask yourself that before making the decision). I had the wheel pop up on my R6 once on accident and it nearly scared the shit out of me, but it only happened because I gave it too much throttle in too low a gear. You probably would be able to handle that better with the dirt bike experience, but that was the first time I'd ever done that on anything more than a mountain bike.
    Tyler
    2003 WW Evolution 8

1000 all the way man....600 youll be board with quick..and at 6 foot your gonna feel huge on it. the 1000 will pull ya good and make you feel like the bike fits. im 5'6" and 190. i ride a r1.

hell, im kinda looking to go bigger....if your really looking, ill give ya a good deal on mine...clean and clear title. 4500.00 pm for details

http://www.motownmuscle.com/forums/s...ike&highlight=

Thread Information